The origins of Camogli date back to the prehistory. Around the year one thousand, when the village was property of Milan Diocese, Camogli started to be known as a maritime hamlet, keeping this characteristic over the centuries, under the dominion of the Republic of Genoa.
In 1797 Camogli was included by Napoleon Bonaparte in the Tigullio Gulf Department, with Rapallo as county town. After the Battle of Abukir, where the French fleet was totally destroyed, the Camogli ship owners began to pour money into new merchant ships, receiving many requests by the main European governments.
In 1856 the Camogli fleet counted on about 580 ships which were all booked in the local “Mutual Maritime Insurance”. In that period this company was the only one of that kind in Europe and Camogli one of the most powerful marine cities.
At the end of 19th century, with the rising of steamboat sailing, Camogli main activities turned into fishing and tourism.